A tummy tuck Bellevue—especially when compared to other cosmetic surgeries—can come with an intense recovery period. Thankfully, after three to four weeks, patients begin to return to most of their normal activities. However, they will still need to wear their compression garments and refrain from any strenuous activity. Usually, by eight weeks, patients can return to most aspects of their normal life.
Let’s look at 7 weeks post tummy tuck and what you can expect from your healing and progress.
At 7 weeks, the tummy tuck incision should be visibly healed. However, it will likely still be rather pigmented, itchy, and potentially a bit sensitive. Any sutures or other closures will have dissolved or been removed by this point. Bruising and major swelling should have resolved, but residual swelling can last several weeks.
Patients can usually begin scar treatment at this stage. They will also continue wearing their compression garments part of the time, usually at least at night and when at home. Dr. Allegra will provide instructions for wearing your compression garment based on your individual healing from a tummy tuck in Bellevue.
Other possible observations you may notice:
- The scar will begin to look thinner and less pigmented around this time, but it will remain fairly visible
- While externally the body looks and feels much better, internally the body is just beginning to heal. Wait to judge the final result until the muscles and tissues loosen and settle
- Begin applying sunscreen to the scar and keep it covered when exposed to the sun
- Occasionally, stitch abscesses can occur at this point, but they generally will heal on their own with basic at-home care
- Dr. Allegra may advise that you continue to keep the scar covered with tape or other surgical covering
- Some patients will heal slower than others for a variety of reasons including smoking, diabetes, and other medical conditions
As long as healing has progressed well, patients can begin incorporating some light exercise into their routines again. This could include brisk walks and upper body exercises, and they can usually begin to increase how much they can lift. It is important to avoid any exercise that directly engages the core because the muscles and tissues are still healing. Dr. Allegra can discuss which aspects of your lifestyle you can resume and which you should continue to abstain from at 7 weeks post-op. However, patients will have returned to work by this time and can resume most of the daily aspects of their lives. There should be little pain or discomfort that interferes with a patient’s activity.
Every patient’s tummy tuck recovery is unique. By seven weeks, most should have returned to their normal lives, but may still see varying amounts of swelling and scarring. Dr. Allegra guides patients through the recovery process and customizes his protocols based on the patient’s healing, progress, and needs. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Ludwig Allegra at Northwest Face & Body, call us at 425-576-1700. Patients can also reach out online via chat, contact form, and Price Simulator.