30 mins - 1 hr
Laser Hair Removal For Men | Northwest Face & Body
Nearly everyone removes hair on their body as part of their hygiene routine. While women have more of a reputation for shaving or waxing their bodies, men do often shave more than their face. This can become time consuming and frustrating, especially for areas that are difficult to reach or see. More and more men are seeking out laser hair removal as the procedure grows in popularity. Northwest Face & Body provides the best laser hair removal for men in Bellevue and Kirkland.
Overview: Laser Hair Removal & How It Works
Laser hair removal is a long term hair removal technique that damages hair follicles to reduce overall hair growth in the treatment area. Traditionally, lasers use a combination of heat and light to create controlled damage to the hair and hair follicles. The procedure has been around since the 1980s and it has only continued to improve in effectiveness and popularity.
Many aesthetic treatments like laser hair removal are more commonly associated with women. However, men tend to have thicker, coarser hair and skin. This means they are more likely to get razor burn, cut themselves, or need to shave more than women. Therefore, laser hair removal is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures that men seek out. In some places, men and women laser hair removal patients are split nearly fifty-fifty.
Triple Frequency Laser Technology
At Northwest Face & Body, our laser hair removal lasers are among the newest generation. Unlike the decades-old lasers many clinics still use, our lasers are adjustable and can operate on three different wavelengths. This allows our master estheticians to treat people of most skin tones and reduce the pain associated with laser hair removal. The treatment can also be customized based on the thickness of hair in a given area.
The wavelengths that our laser produces include:
- 755nm Alexandrite: With a high rate of melanin absorption, this wavelength is ideal for people with lighter skin tones. Generally, people on the Fitzpatrick scale between one and three may see results from this wavelength with few risks.
- 808nm Diode: An all-around laser, it has a medium-absorption rate and can treat most skin tones. Though, darker skin tones may still carry increased risks with this wavelength. This is the newest standard wavelength for laser hair removal due to its safety and decreased risk to darker skin tones without hindering results.
- 1064nm Nd:Yag: Carrying the lowest rate of melanin absorption, this laser is safe for dark skin tones. While safe for lighter skin tones, it is less effective when providing results on lighter skin. Therefore, it is generally recommended for darker skin tones and in cases where other wavelengths are not safe.
Laser hair removal carries many benefits for men. Some of the possible benefits and advantages include:
- Reduced need for shaving
- Better hygiene
- Fewer ingrown hairs
- Save money on shaving supplies
- May keep you cooler
- Less painful than other alternatives such as waxing
- Customizable results; only the hair you want addressed is treated
- Long lasting hair removal
- Hair grows back sparser and thinner
- Treat self-consciousness or reduce confidence due to body hair
- Precise treatment
- Appointments are usually less than an hour
- Can achieve thinned hair vs. removed hair
- Little to no pain
- Performed by a master esthetician
Reasons Men Seek Out Laser Hair Removal
The choice to seek out any aesthetic or cosmetic procedure is a personal one. However, there are several reasons why men tend to seek out laser hair removal. Some of the most common motivations include:
- Neaten up facial hair
- Remove unwanted body hair
- Treat hard to reach areas such as the back
- Reduce ingrown hairs
- Lessen uncomfortable side effects of shaving like razor burn and cuts
- Increase comfort in situations where they take their shirts off
- May provide benefits to certain athletes such as swimmers and cyclists
- Easier to maintain hygiene/can reduce sweating
Before & After Male Laser Hair Removal
Before undergoing laser hair removal in Bellevue, you will meet with a master esthetician to discuss your desires for treatment and determine if you are a good candidate. First, your master esthetician will ask about the areas you want to treat and the amount of hair reduction you want to achieve. From there, they will evaluate your medical history and lifestyle.
Finally, your master esthetician may examine the potential treatment areas. This helps them identify the hair thickness and texture, any notable variances in skin tone, and other factors. If they believe you are a good candidate, they will provide a custom price quote based on the number and size of the treatment areas. Your master esthetician may also give instructions for the days leading up to treatment.
Hair Removal Sessions
Upon changing—if necessary—your master esthetician will disinfect the treatment area(s). Numbing cream is usually not needed due to our unique triple wavelength laser. Though, it is available. After calibrating the laser to the appropriate settings, your provider will apply ultrasound gel and begin treatment.
You should feel little to no pain during the treatment. Certain areas will be more sensitive than others. However, laser hair removal is fairly quick and most patients bear any discomfort well. You will usually need to have at least four sessions to see the results you want. Though, your hair thickness, treatment area, and various other factors will impact your series of treatments.
Upon finishing treatment, your master esthetician may apply some soothing lotion to the treated areas. This helps soothe the irritated skin and increases your comfort for the rest of the day. It is likely they will also apply sunscreen.
In the few days following laser hair removal treatment, you will need to alter your routine slightly. Some of the aftercare your master esthetician may advise may include:
- Keep treated areas out of the sun as much as possible
- Wear sunscreen, regardless of the weather
- Do not tan or use tanning products for at least three to four days
- Exfoliate away dead hairs after about one week
- Do not pick at the treated areas
- Keep unapproved or scented products from the treatment sites
- Shave the day/night before your next session
Frequently Asked Questions
Does It Hurt?
There may be some associated pain or discomfort. However, when compared to traditional lasers, the pain of laser hair removal has reduced significantly. It is bearable for most patients and short-lived. Often, the pain does not linger due to the cooling handpiece equipped on the laser itself.
Is Laser Hair Removal Permanent For Men?
The FDA does not consider laser hair removal permanent because some hair may grow back after several months or years after undergoing your final laser hair removal sessions. Often, if you have a touch-up around once a year, you can enjoy your results indefinitely. There are cases where patients do not need any touch-ups. It largely depends on how your body responds to treatment.
What Are The Risks Of Laser Hair Removal?
Laser hair removal does come with some risks. While adverse effects are rare, especially with new, highly specialized lasers, patients should fully understand the risks before proceeding. Certain medical conditions and medications can put you at risk for some complications. This is why it is important to discuss your full medical history at your consultation.
Among the risks of laser hair removal include:
- Prolonged side effects
Generally, any adverse effects or complications are treatable. Your provider can also mitigate risks via patient screening, placing the laser into the correct settings, and addressing potential risks beforehand. For example, laser hair removal can trigger cold sores or herpes sores. If you know you are prone to these, they can place you on medication before treatment to prevent this.
Will It Remove Tattoos?
The laser used for laser hair removal is different from the one our master estheticians use for tattoo removal. However, it could still cause damage to tattoos. Therefore, if you have a tattoo in the treatment area, your provider may outline around it, or even cover it all together.
How Often Should You Get Laser Hair Removal?
Initially, you will likely undergo four to six sessions spaced roughly four to six weeks apart. After this, you may come in for touch-up sessions once or twice a year. Ultimately, it depends on how your hair responds to treatment. Some people may need more initial sessions, while others may see great results in three sessions.
What Is The Cost Of Laser Hair Removal For Men?
Laser hair removal at Northwest Face & Body starts at $119 for four sessions of a small area. Larger and additional areas will incur more charges. After a consultation, your master esthetician will provide a more accurate price quote based on your individual needs and anatomy. You can find more about our pricing on our price list.
The Best Laser Hair Removal For Men In Bellevue & Kirkland
Northwest Face & Body is a leading plastic surgery clinic and medical spa in Kirkland, WA. Centrally located between downtown Bellevue and Kirkland, it has served the Eastside for over three decades. Providing premier surgical and non-surgical cosmetic services, Northwest Face & Body can help you achieve all your aesthetic goals. Northwest face & Body provides the best laser hair removal for men.
The master estheticians at Northwest Face & Body have extensive training and experience in medical esthetics. Along with their traditional esthetics training, they underwent basic medical training as it pertains to the skin. This allows them to provide top notch care and more advanced procedures.